Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pool Deck Blues

It's true. Working the pool deck can be a very sad thing. When it gets really hot everyone gets in the pool, even the life guards and the camp counselors. But what about me? I dutifully sit at my front desk under the sweltering heat, being kind and courteous to the members of this great YMCA who are about to enjoy a cool, relaxing dip in this spacious pool.

Actually, I have only had to endure this great feat once. All my other Thursdays of working outside this summer have been quite different. During the first several, I got compliments as well as strange looks on my pink sweater. (Because it typically gets cooler under my tent) And just last week, we had a monsoon, and I had to retreat indoors because even my tent shelter was raining intensely. Which was a pretty good experience all it's own because I got to sit indoors and eat an hour long lunch while having a really intense discussion about the Book of Mormon with a fellow employee. But unfortunately, I had to go home two and a half hours early unless I wanted to continue my post while treading water in a lake. Thad day did up being rather exciting!

today....I fear that today will be another day where I feel as if I am sitting in the middle of a desert in the middle of Utah or something, and all these people I see swimming are just a mirage. Maybe not though. At the moment, the weather is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very poetic post, Lee Ann. I really, really like it. I wish my students could write this way about their lives...I also wish that I could imagine myself sitting in a desert when I'm at work.

    Have a wonderful day!!! :)

    I can't wait to see you later! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks Rachel! Although, I was not enjoying myself while i was being reminded of the desert. But I tried to make it interesting!

    ReplyDelete